Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I have an opinion

Bess and Catherine mention Lent in their blogs today. The "giving up" and "sacrifice". I went to Catholic school for 12 years. Religion classes taught by nuns and priests (one of whom resigned after pleading guilty a few weeks ago, but that's another story). In first grade, Sister Imelda passed around a box with slips of paper in it. On each slip of paper was a "sacrifice" that we had to make for Lent. My slip of paper said candy. I was six. I mentioned to my father that I should have been able to chose my own....he told me that the nuns were always right and made sure I had no candy that Lenten season. That was the beginning of my battle with forced religion. The adults ensuring I believed what I was told and had no original thoughts or opinions of my own. I gave up the fight in 6th grade after Sister Agnes called me an idiot. I did have a one time relapse in 9th grade during the discussion of what Adam and Eve actuallyphysically looked like, you know, that whole evolution thing. The punishments were not worth it. It was easier to memorize and spew back. I became a good girl and tried to set an example for my younger siblings.

And that brings me to this. I'm not sure why I want to see The Passion of the Christ.

For entertainment? Not my style of movie with all the violence.

Religion? I still believe but not exactly the what the Catholic church says I should. Will a movie that I will have my eyes closed during most of "save" me?

Curiosity? Probably. I've watched the interviews with Mel, Jim and cast. Saw the "Making of" on PAX and read reviews...pro and con.

I have made plans to see it with friends in a few weeks. I'm just not sure how I want or need to approach this movie. Perhaps I know too much about it. Perhaps I'll just walk in, sit down and watch.

I did promise the knitting ring knitting so here it is:

I saw the KnittaPalooza weekend proof sheet last Saturday. 2 1/2 full days of classes and events. Even speakers during lunches and dinners!

Ewe Knit Kits will be moving into it's new location the weekend of March 13th. Lights are in, office is built, second register stand is in progress, shelving ordered, and walls are painted. The plans are to begin moving in on Saturday morning and be finished by end of day Sunday. Store will be open 10 - 5:30 on Saturday. Please excuse our mess will be the statement of the day. And all offers to carry bags of yarn down a few doors will be accepted.

We're still hiring. Need a part time job? Employee discount plus salary.

The deli/bakery has opened. They kindly brought down leftovers (apple tarts, cheese tarts, croissants) about 3:00 Saturday afternoon. We'll be 2 doors down in a few weeks. I can vouch for the tuna on baggette.


So very happy Matt and Rob are able to stay open while they search for a new home for ThreadBear.

No comments: